About my travels, meeting people, adventures, food and culture
The island is just small that you can actually visit the place in two days and a very enchanting place I must say.
Here are the reasons why, in spite of a not-so modern place, the island is one of the favorite tourist areas in the Philippines.
1) Spic-and-span. People throw their garbage in the right place. Even on public places (market, park, churches) seldom you see candy wrappers, only dried leaves that has fallen out of their branches. If there’s any, for sure it was from non-locals.
2) Zero crime-rate. According to the governor and the mayor that we met, they can proudly say that their island has a zero crime-rate. A peace, orderly and disciplined community is what they aim for.
3) Accessibility. Last June 2013, Cebu Pacific Airlines will have a twice-a-week operation from Manila or Cebu to Camiguin. Tourists will have an easy access to the island in just an hour and will have more time to see the beautiful island.
But for others who prefer to sail (2hours travel) you can take a ferry from Cagayan de Oro or Tagbilaran (Bohol). Ocean Ferries has daily trips to Camiguin. Just book ahead as it is always full. The ferry only travel to the island once a day. Barge (a medium cargo ship) is also available. Many barge/cargo vessels travel every hour (from 5am to 7pm to/from Camiguin via Balinoan, Misamis Oriental (just 2 hours away from Cagayan de Oro).
4) Well maintained tourist areas. The goverment sees to it that their facilities is well kept by the administration. A police assistance center in every areas which also serve as the tourist information if you want to inquire something.
5) Going around via habal-habal. Tourist can go around the island by hiring a multicab or a motorcycle. If you are travelling alone and you don’t mind the heat of the sun, hiring a motorcycle is a good choice to go around for just P800 pesos or $20.
6) Kids can play at government owned facility. At the back of the governor’s office there is a pool. Every lunchtime til 6pm, kids from nearby areas swim in the pool. No guards or government employee drive away those kids, they let them enjoy and have a good time as kids.
These are the secrets why many tourists have fallen in love with the island that keep them coming back to Camiguin.